Monday, November 10, 2014

Body Image and Perceptions of Ourselves

It's interesting how other people can see you so shockingly differently than you see yourself. Lately especially, I have been struggling quite a bit with body image, and with feeling extremely dissatisfied and disgusted with what I see when I look in the mirror. Some days it seems like I could name something wrong with every inch of my body. It is a constant struggle to not let this affect my choices, and to remain seemingly strong, confident, and assured, despite my internal feelings which are screaming the opposite. Unfortunately at this point in time, I don't know how to fix this. I don't know how to look in the mirror and love what I see. I'm sorry that I don't have any real advice to you all to fix it and make everything better, I wish I did. I'm still trying to figure it out for myself.


What is really interesting to me though, is that, as far as i can tell, other people don't perceive me in this same way. For one thing, I can see any single human being, and find redeeming qualities about the way they look. Yet I have none? intellectually, that seems impossible. There MUST be something good about me.
Along with this, I have friends who love me and call me pretty, who tell me I am thin and beautiful. I have a boyfriend who frequently tells me I am beautiful, who likes to touch and admire my body. He constantly takes photos of me, and even though I have never seen one that I thought looked alright, he says he loves them, and that I look gorgeous in them. 
This is such a contradiction. What am I to make of this? Every input I get from my own brain tells me how horrendous and fat and ugly I am. Yet, from other people, people who know me and love me, I receive the exact opposite. Do I simply ignore my own head and heart, and try to believe that I actually am the way that they see me to be? How do I do that though, when my own perceptions are so strong?
Honestly, I really don't know. Like I said, I have no real answers. Hopefully in the future I will be able to come back to you with new insight form a better place mentally, and offer real and solid advice.
For now, all I have to give you is advice that I too am working on. Listen to the people who love you. They are the ones that truly know you, and truly see you as you are. We are so blinded by eating disorders and poor self-esteem and so much other shit that is clouding our judgment, we are seeing ourselves through a fog. Someday we can make that fog clear, and we will be able to truly see ourselves as those we love see us. But until then, simply try to trust them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment