Monday, February 2, 2015

Two Year Anniversary of Recovery

Today, February 1st, is a very important day for me. Two years ago is the day I had my first apt with my current therapist, and the day I finally began to get serious about recovery. After having suffered from an eating disorder for over four years and having been in and out of other therapists and nutritionists to not much avail, I remember being absolutely terrified, and feeling not at all ready or able to take the steps needed to finally recover.

            These past two years have been an extremely long journey, full of many ups and down, relapses and triumphs. The one constant though is that I have never given up on my goal of becoming fully recovered and free of this disorder. Looking back, I can hardly even recognize the girl I was two years ago. She was so weak, broken, and beaten down by her eating disorder that she did not know how to fight anymore. She hardly had the will. At my first apt I was hardly able to speak for myself, or articulate how I was feeling or what I wanted or needed. Now, after hundreds of sessions, time spent in an amazing treatment center, and countless self-reflection and hours of hard work, I have learned so much about myself and what I deserve and want out of life. I am well on the road to finally being recovered from this disorder, and being able to help people in the same position that I was two years ago.
            Two years later, the person I am now is strong, Independent, and believes in herself and her recovery more than she ever thought possible. I know I am not recovered yet, and I still have a long way to go, but I am nowhere near where I used to be, and I am so proud of the work I’ve done and the woman I am becoming. There was a time when I honestly never thought I would get here, yet here I am, in Boston, a city which I love at a school I love, working everyday to live life to the fullest and recover and grow more and more every day.
            So much has changed in only two years. Since February 1st 2013, My life and myself are almost unrecognizable. I am so excited to see what the next two years bring, and how much I am able to grow and change and love and live life to the fullest. Over these past two years I have grown excited again for life and for the future, and I cant wait to see what it will bring.
Today I am so grateful for recovery, and for al the amazing opportunities and people it has brought into my life over the past two years. I am so thankful for the time and life it has given me, and all it has allowed me to live and experience and enjoy and love. Thanks to taking that first step two years ago, my life has been brighter and had more potential than I could ever imagine. I am so so grateful and proud.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment