Friday, August 22, 2014

Everyone Should Have a Therapist

I have been seeing a therapist one to two times a week consistently for about a year and a half now. Before that, I saw one on and off, less regularly. I also want to study psychology and work in the field when I am older. So, clearly, I am biased. But I honestly think, that every single person in this world should have a therapist.


Hear me out, I know there is a lot of stigma against going to therapy. People don’t want to feel like they are crazy, or have other people think that they are. They want to feel like they can handle things on their own. But if I ruled the world, around the time every person turned about six, they would be given a therapist that they saw every week or couple weeks. 

If this were to happen, Oh my gosh would the world be a healthier, happier place. I am in no way trying to say that everyone is crazy, or needs mental help, but come on, who couldn’t value from having someone objective to talk to? To help them through there struggles, big or small? To validate there feelings and emotions, to teach them healthy coping skills that they can use to deal with the everyday struggles of life, rather than using unhealthy or self-destructive methods? 

I don’t know, like I said, maybe I am biased because I think therapy and psychology is amazing. I know not everyone feels that way. But all of these wars, all of this murder, hate, racism, stigma, low self-esteem, depression, and so many other struggles that face people in this world, if everyone were given the chance to talk it out with someone, and get help, I really think these things would be a lot more unheard of, and humanity as a whole would be a lot healthier and happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment